- posted: Sep. 06, 2023
Your child comes into contact with millions of microscopic viruses and bacteria daily. Your child’s immune system also isn’t as robust as that of an adult. These two factors combine to make your child very susceptible to becoming ill. Fortunately, our pediatrician is an expert at diagnosis and treatment of common childhood illnesses and can help your child feel better.
What You Need To Know About Common Childhood Illnesses
Some of the most common childhood illnesses include:
- A cold, caused by a virus
- The flu, caused by a virus
- Strep throat, caused by a bacterial infection
- Ear infections, caused by a bacterial infection
- Pink eye, caused by a bacterial infection
Viral infections like colds or the flu may go away on their own with rest, drinking plenty of fluids, and avoiding contact with others.
Bacterial infections need professional treatment with antibiotics to kill the bacteria and eliminate the infection. You should also bring your child in for a pediatric visit if your child has:
- A fever which has lasted longer than 2 days
- A fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit if your child is under 2 months
- A fever of at least 104 degrees Fahrenheit if your child is older
In addition to a fever, you should bring your child to visit the pediatrician if your child is experiencing:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Abdominal pain
Treating childhood illnesses is just part of the expertise of your pediatrician. Your pediatrician can also treat and help manage acute or chronic childhood conditions, including:
- Headaches and sinus problems
- Allergies and asthma
- Rashes and other skin irritations
- Fractured or broken bones
- Injuries from an accident or sport
When you bring your child to visit the pediatrician, our pediatrician will:
- Perform a comprehensive physical examination
- Order necessary lab work to determine the presence of bacteria, anemia, or other condition
- Order necessary imaging studies to determine the extent of an injury
- Prescribe treatments and medications to alleviate pain, reduce swelling and inflammation, eliminate bacteria or viruses, and help your child feel better
Want To Learn More?
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of childhood illnesses and when to bring your child to see the pediatrician, talk with an expert. Call our pediatrician today.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.